Every other year, NYO-China brings together over one hundred of the country's finest young musicians for an unparalleled, all-expenses-paid, month-long summer festival and concert tour. Students are selected through a competitive audition process open to all Chinese citizens aged 14 to 21 years old. The best, who represent leading conservatories from all across China and abroad, gather for a training residency with faculty drawn from the principal players of top-tier orchestras. After two weeks of intensive preparations, the ensemble is given the opportunity to perform in premier venues throughout the world alongside an internationally-renowned conductor and soloist.
In 2017, NYO-China launched with a sold-out concert presented by Carnegie Hall featuring the legendary pianist Yujia Wang, followed by a concert tour of Beijing, Shanghai, and Suzhou with Van Cliburn Gold Medalist Olga Kern. In 2019, the ensemble travels to Europe with Garrick Ohlsson, the first and only American to win the International Chopin Piano Competition.
On March 27, Robert Blocker, the Henry and Lucy Dean of Music at Yale University, and Vincent Accettola, Managing Director of the National Youth Orchestra of China, will host a discussion about the present and future of NYO-China. The audience will also have the privilege of listening to chamber performances from alumni of the ensemble, as well as learn about the incoming Class of 2019.
- Speech – Introduction | Robert Blocker
- Performance 1 | BACH Unaccompanied Suite No. 3 | Yuanyujie Zhu
- Video – NYO-China: A Retrospective
- Speech – NYO-China's 2019 Season | Vincent Accettola
- Video - 2019 Admissions Overview
- Accepted Students Announcement: Part 1
- Performance 2 | HANDEL-HALVORSEN Passacaglia for Two Violins | Hanyu Feng & Shiman Yu
- Speech – A Student's Perspective | Hanyu Feng OR Shiman Yu
- Speech – A Teacher's Perspective | Guang Chen
- Accepted Students Announcement: Part 2
- Speech – Honoring Linda He | Robert Blocker
- Speech – Creating a Sustainable NYO-China | Vincent Accettola
- Accepted Students Announcement: Part 3
- Performance 3 | HAYDEN String Quartet Op. 33, No. 2 "The Joke" | Hanbo Wang
The language of the event will be English.
Registration and Payment
RMB 20 for students; RMB 60 for Yale alumni; RMB 80 for others.
Please note: All attendee information collected by Yale Center Beijing through the event registration form on this website, or by any other means, will be kept strictly confidential. Yale Center Beijing will never distribute, sell, license, or otherwise make available for any purpose, any attendee information to any third party, unless otherwise required by law.